Bradley House is the historic family Home of the Dukes of Somerset. The land was given by King Henry VIII in 1547 to honour his 3rd wife, Jane Seymour, the mother of his male heir, the future King Edward VI. Jane’s brother, Edward, was created 1st Duke of Somerset and Lord Protector of the Realm for his services as soldier, diplomat and brother-in-law. Edward Seymour’s brother, Thomas, was Lord High Admiral and married Catherine Parr after King Henry’s death in 1547.
The Family lived in Somerset House in The Strand, London, and at Berry Pomeroy Castle in Devon. In The Glorious Revolution of 1688, Edward Seymour met William of Orange at his Brixham landing site and after claiming the throne as William III, the new King made Edward Seymour Speaker in the House of Commons.
Bradley House was built at this date and was subsequently reduced in size in 1821 to its present configuration.
The House retains many historical and artistic heirlooms from the family’s past adventures.